Cracked magazine presents an interesting survey of six commonly believed psychobabble truths, and why they’re all crap.
6. “If You Let Your Anger Out, You’ll Feel Better!”
5. “Just Believe in Yourself, and You’ll Succeed!”
4. “Cult Members are Stupid, Gullible Sheep!”
3. “Advertisers Use Subliminal Messages to Make Us Do Things!”
2. Lie Detector Tests Work
1. Homophobes are secretly gay
Number Five is the really destructive. “Progressive” educators have preached for years that kids had to have “self-esteem” in order to succeed, so they worked overtime working to get kids who were otherwise losers to feel good about themselves. It actually makes the problem worse:
Research shows kids who have an inflated sense of self-worth become aggressive when their sense of superiority is called into question.
In other words: Loser + Self Esteem = Bully.