If I had told you on September 11, 2001 that eight years later…
- We would have a president who picked as a close White House advisor someone who stated that America got what was coming to us 9-11, that the United States was a terrorist country, and whose minister had said the same.
- That the president who had kept the country safe from further terror attacks for eight years would be reviled as a “war criminal.”
- We would elect a president who would say Victory over the terrorists isn’t really our objective
- We would have a Congressional leadership that was ready to cede Afghanistan back to the Taliban, because they didn’t think the public thought winning was worth it
- Our Supreme Court would have concluded that the foreign terrorists who destroyed the WTC were entitled to the same Constitutional Rights as the Americans they butchered
- We would have a president eager to bring terrorists onto American soil, and would have released other terrorists to taxpayer paid vacations in tropical paradises
- The president and his party would be seeking to prosecute intelligence agents who put their lives on the line to protect Americans from another attack.
- The president and his administration would be forbidden to speak of the ‘War on Terrorism’ because the language was considered politically incorrect. Instead, of a terror attack, the events on 9-11-2001 would be considered merely a “man-caused disaster“
- We would have members of an entire political party who thought pouring water on a terrorist’s nose to save American lives was a horror beyond the pale.
- Hollywood would have released several movies depicting our soldiers and intelligence services as the bad guys (Redacted, Syriana, War Inc, Lions for Lambs, In the Valley of Elah) , and the terrorists as innocent victims (Rendition).
- A film-maker who described Islamic terrorists as “equivalent to our Minutemen” would be given a place of honor in the president’s box at the DNC convention.
- We would have a president who apologized to Islamic countries for America defending ourselves against terrorists
- We would have a president that stood by and did nothing while the world’s leading sponsor of terror developed nuclear weapons
- Our borders would still be wide open, and two successive administrations would have done nothing to secure them.
- An environmental group would use the horrific images of the murder of 2,800 people as part of an edgy ad campaign.
Would you have believed me? Would you have been outraged? And if you had known all the above would happen in eight years, would you have shaken your head and said, ‘Good God, what happened to this country? How did we forget?’